I still have my goal of reading these 50 classics before August 1, 2023, and as a subset of that goal, I’m participating in Karen of Books and Chocolate’s Back to the Classics 2020 Challenge.
Here are the categories, along with the book I’m considering reading for the category. I haven’t decided on everything yet, so I’ll update when I’ve picked a book for the category.
- 19th century classic: Great Expectations -C. Dickens
- 20th century classic:
- Classic by a woman author: Villette -C. Bronte
- Classic in translation: Kristin Lavransdatter -S. Undset
- Classic by a person of color: Things Fall Apart -C. Achebe
- Genre classic (I’ve picked mystery): The Woman in White -W. Collins
- Classic with a person’s name in the title: My Cousin Rachel -D. duMaurier
- Classic with a place in the title: Alas, Babylon -P. Frank
- Classic with nature in the title: Cold Sassy Tree -O. Burns
- Classic about a family: Pride & Prejudice -J. Austen
- Abandoned classic: The Picture of Dorian Gray – O. Wilde
- Classic adaptation: Little Women -L. Alcott
We’ll see how it goes! I need to finish the two books I’m currently reading, and then I’ll tackle one of these. Maybe I should start with Kristin Lavransdatter since it’s a hefty tome (Goodreads tells me it’s 1144 pages).
General reading goal: 45 books in 2020. We’ll see how it goes!