Well, it’s that time of year again…I make reading goals that I may or may not complete.
I’m going to try to read books from the categories in the Back to the Classics Challenge this year.
For the full rules, visit Karen’s Books and Chocolate blog to see what it’s all about and/or participate.
Here are the 12 categories, with my tentative book choices (I’ll update if I change my mind or pick titles for the categories I haven’t chosen a book for yet):
1. A 19th century classic – The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (A. Bronte)
2. A 20th century classic – TBD
3. A classic by a woman author – Lark Rise to Candleford (F. Thompson)
4. A classic in translation – something by A. Dumas…not sure which one yet.
5. A classic originally published before 1800 – Richard III? Henry IV? …one of the histories (W. Shakespeare)
6. A romance classic – Doctor Thorne (A. Trollope)
7. A Gothic or horror classic – Dracula (B. Stoker)
8. A classic with a number in the title – A Tale of Two Cities (C. Dickens) or The Two Towers (J. R. R. Tolkien)
9. A classic about an animal or which includes the name of an animal in the title – Animal Farm (G. Orwell)
10. A classic set in a place you’d like to visit – TBD…let’s be honest, it’ll probably be something else by a British author because I want to visit the UK next. 🙂
11. An award-winning classic – The Man in the High Castle (P. K. Dick)
12. A Russian classic – TBD
We’ll see how it goes this year! I’m a little over halfway through Dracula now, and I started Doctor Thorne, both of which I’m enjoying. More on those when I finish them.